22.5%. That’s the number, according to the latest census data (2016), of Canadian tax filers who contributed to an RRSP. The other 77.5% didn’t take advantage of this incredible savings tool.
That figure is surprising when you consider the tremendous benefits of RRSP investing that include:
- tax-deferred growth
- tax deductions from contributions.
As you might know, an RRSP contribution lowers your taxable income in the current year. Rather than paying a high marginal tax rate now, based on your current income, an RRSP lets you pay tax on withdrawals, which means that if you are waiting until you retire, you could benefit from a much lower tax rate.
Read our new e-book to learn a few RRSP strategies that could help you join the 22.5% and take advantage of your full RRSP contribution rights.
Call Tanner Financial (1.647.722.1711) to discuss your unique financial goals and we can work together to develop an investment plan that’s just perfect for you.
- Statistics Canada, Table 11-10-0045-01, Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) room of tax filers.
- Crano Report: Econometric Models on the Value of Advice of a Financial Advisor, July 2012 (https://www.cirano.qc.ca/pdf/publication/2012RP-17.pdf)